Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chinese Egg Tart

This is an attempt at creating those lovely tiny egg tarts that you see in Yum Cha's. I have always preferred the ones with the flaky pastry, though they are messier to eat. Since I love them so much, I decided to make these at home, though I used frozen puff pastry for the base...I don't have that much time on my hangs :)
Sometimes what I find difficult about recipes is when they're not written in enough steps. The recipe I used (which I ended up changing) had just two steps...one for the pastry and one for the filling. So after sitting around for a while, trying to get my head around the number of sieving involved, I rewrote the recipe to make it simpler....
Egg Tart
Ingredients
2/3 Cups sugar (caster or white is fine)
1 3/4 Cups water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
9 eggs (I used 600g sized eggs)
3 sheets Puff pastry (thawed)

Method
1) Grease one standard muffin tins (with 12 x1/3 cup tin)
2) On the puff pastry, cut out 12 circles, approximately 10cm in diameter
3) Place the puff pastry into the muffin tin. Set aside.









4) In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, vanilla extract and milk. Bring to the boil then reduce heat. Heat cook till sugar is dissolved. Watch out as milk will cause the mixture to bubble quite a bit.









5) Let the sugar/milk mixture cool till room temperature (it needs to be at that temp as you don't want to cook the eggs yet)
6) Preheat the oven to 230C (This way, you don't waste energy)
7) Placing a sieve over the saucepan, crack the eggs into the sieve then strain through into the saucepan. Stir till completely mixed.
8)Using a 1/3cup measure, spoon the egg mixture into the puff pastry casing, ensuring that it's filled to the top and not over flowing.
9) Bake in the oven for 15 - 30mins (Mine took 30mins). When you pierce the centre, there shouldn't be any liquid left.









10) Let it sit in the tin for 5 mins before removing.






NOTE: Mine puffed a little and some browned on the top. Not a true replica of the restaurant quality tarts, but it still tastes just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment